This blog is a long term project to document my expertise as an organist and an improvising and composing pianist.
10/07/2014
A new composition: "Vibrations" - versions Caen, Tholen, Arlesheim
Contrary to many of my pieces, there is no room for improvisation in Vibrations. I made a score which I intend to present with some other pieces to a publishing company. It is very difficult and only a few organists would be able to play it. Vibrations should not be performed like Ligeti's Second Etude for organ or Continuum for harpsichord. Ligeti's music is about a mental state of obsession which does not interest me. Vibrations represents oscillations in nature; in that sense I am more of an impressionist. Of course, the ostinato in the left hand is a reminiscence of my playing with African musicians in the late '90s.
Up to now, I recorded three versions at home, but never played it in public. The first version is with the sound of the organ in Caen.
The second with the sound of "Tholen":
The third with "Arlesheim":
Other instruments or human voices may replace the pedal part and the piece can also be played manualiter, without other instruments.