This blog is a long term project to document my expertise as an organist and an improvising and composing pianist.
27/10/2017
Variations on "To God be the Glory", Lons-le-Saunier, with score
Between1998 and 2000 I was the organist of the African Choir of the Scots International Church, Rotterdam. During this period I learnt about 40 songs from Ghana and Cameroon. I was impressed by the swing, soulfulness and indestructible optimism with which members of the choir expressed their faith through their music. The choir performed W.H. Doane’s “To God be the Glory” in a particularly cheerful way.To remember this I composed a set of variations on this hymn in what —not without a twinkle in the eye—might be called “African baroque” style. The piece is typical of the 18th century in regard to harmony, voice leading, texture, ornamentation, fingering and registration. However, I
rhythmicized it in a way that would stimulate the choir to dance. The organ part may be supported by percussion, for instance a talking drum.The original melody can be sung before the variations.
It sounded very good on the Callinet-organ in Lons-le-Saunier (1842-1844).