12/12/2015

Breakthrough: moving away from the brains: practising César Franck's Premier Choral (Part Four)

As I pointed out before, I had a period of inactivity after which I started to play the organ and the piano from scratch again, as it were, thinking of Busoni who did that several times during his life, as a way to renew oneself. While practising Franck's Premier Choral I discovered something which now changes my attitude to playing the organ and the piano, both as an interpreter and an improviser: leaning back a little and direct the body's centre of gravity to the plexus solaris. Reading about this part of the body (quite near the stomach), I understand that this new attitude may imply a shift in concentration from the brains towards the subconscious. In any case, it improves the breathing. Fascinating, a kind of breakthrough towards a next level of The Art of Doing Nothing (the art of playing with relaxed precision).