04/07/2015

Transcribing an improvisation: CD Imaginary Day, track 14: Dolcezza, organ Domkerk

From time to time, I think that in a certain improvisation every note is on the right place. That is the case with Dolcezza and I made a transcription of the improvisation, so that it may be played as a composition. The accompaniment figure, played with a stopped flute 8' above a low 16' organ point, should be steady but not metronomic. The melody, played with a flute 4', often sounds just before or after the accompaniment's beats, creating an impression of free rhythm.

It is with this kind of Dolcezza that I intend to play the slow movements of Bach's trio sonatas.


Originally, the improvisation was played on the Loret-organ at the St. Willibrorduskerk in Berkel-Enschot, where I was an organist at the time. A recording of this was issued on my CD Meditations for a lent.