Re-listening to the piece, I found the effect on the powerful Koenig-organ in the Stevenskerk, Nijmegen very convincing. Would I have the energy to do that again? I might just be too old for that.
This blog is a long term project to document my expertise as an organist and an improvising and composing pianist.
10/07/2015
CD Imaginary Day, track 20: Breakwave, organ Stevenskerk Nijmegen - Would I dare to do something similar again or am I too old for it now?
Breakwave was originally used for the actor Henk van Ulsen performance in Job, to illustrate a terrible storm and the ominous stillness before and after the storm. The concept is simple and efficient, allowing me to produce a huge effect with often little time to prepare me on organs throughout the country that I did not know on beforehand. The pedal keeps two low organ point throughout the piece, the left hand plays the "storm theme" and also manipulates stops for crescendo and diminuendo effects. An African drum, on the organ bench, is played by a stick in the right hand. The stick is also used to play a tin jug (compare track 17) and the gosoeah, a pair of bells from Ghana, hanging above the organist's right knee. The climax is a resounding G major chord, followed by clusters played by the entire left hand, illustrating the devastating power of nature.
Re-listening to the piece, I found the effect on the powerful Koenig-organ in the Stevenskerk, Nijmegen very convincing. Would I have the energy to do that again? I might just be too old for that.
Re-listening to the piece, I found the effect on the powerful Koenig-organ in the Stevenskerk, Nijmegen very convincing. Would I have the energy to do that again? I might just be too old for that.